Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I hate my job, but boyfriend says I have to keep it?

I work in a jewelery store at the moment (I've only had the job since the beginning of February). I got the job after I had an issue/disagreement with my boss at my last workplace (Target) and decided it was time to leave after more than 2 years of working there. I was under the impression that the jewelers really needed staff (a lot had left around Christmas time, and they hired 6 of us to cover for them). But this really isn't the case. I get given 1 shift a week, 2 if I'm lucky, and I get paid $15 an hour (as opposed to $21 an hour at Target). 2 of the girls who were hired at the same time as me have already quit, and the other 3 are in the same boat as me - 1 shift a week. Pretty much everyone else who works there is part time or full time, so there aren't a lot of spare shifts floating around. I have been looking for a new job almost ever since I got this one and realised I wasn't going to get much work, but so far I have gotten nothing else. I am really not enjoying the job - the pay is bad, the hours are bad (my 1 shift a week is generally a Friday night or Saturday morning), and my boss is very demanding (we get spoken to if our sales are low, and mine generally are thanks to the fact that I work the slowest shifts). I want to quit, even though I don't have another job yet, because I'm just sick of it but my boyfriend says I have to stay there until I get another job (we're saving to move out - I'm hardly contributing anything at the moment though because my pay is so low). What can I say to my boyfriend to convince him that I really do not want to work there anymore? Or should I just stay there and try and wait it out until another job comes along?

No comments:

Post a Comment